A few words about our precious peas…
Our wonderful pea in a classic recipe that is preferred by all of our Greece. In Cephalonia, it is one of the most famous varieties throughout our country, as well as in mainland Greece and especially in the area of Lokrida.
First of all, let us clarify that peas are not a vegetable, but a legume, although they have the least protein of all legumes. We could practically put peas and corn as well as beans in a separate category. In the category of starchy vegetables, and this is because they have the most carbohydrates of all vegetables!
Nutritional hygiene with B vitamins, vitamins K, C, A, folic acid, manganese, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, iron. It also contains fiber, valuable for the proper functioning of the intestine and prevents diabetes, cancers and heart disease.
However, it should be noted that if our peas are combined with protein (meat or mushrooms) such as rice or cereal products, it improves the biological value of the protein included.
So let's make our peas with red sauce.
- 1/2 kg of peas peeled
- 2 large carrots cut into large frames
- 2 large sliced potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 4-5 chopped fresh onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g of crushed tomatoes
- 1 kg of pulp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 bunch dill chopped
- Salt, pepper, bay leaf
- olive oil
- Put the dried onion and the spring onion in a saucepan. Saute lightly, then add the carrots and potatoes, continue to sauté and then add the garlic, the pulp and the peas. Saute lightly and add the crushed tomatoes.
- Fill with water if necessary until our ingredients are half covered. Let it simmer until it loses almost all its liquid.
- In the last cooking, add a little olive oil and the chopped dill.