On the day of Agios Fanourios (27/08) we make the fanouropita.
Tradition tells us that we make the fanouropita for the mother of Agios Fanourios who was a sinner. He tried to help her save himself, but her bad temper did not let him.
So after his mother died he asked the villagers to make a pie for his mother's soul to be forgiven of her sins.
So housewives share the pie in the neighborhood and wish "God forgive the mother of Agios Fanourios"
But Agios Fanourios has been established to reveal to the faithful lost items and to the girls to reveal which man they will marry.
The ingredients used to make the pie must be 7 or 9 (or more ingredients depending on the spices we want to put in our pie) which symbolize the sacraments of the church on the days of creation and the orders of angels.
When we do not make our pie, we incense and have the candle or a candle lit.
The recipe I present to you below is accurate for sure success with grams so that there are no exclusions on weight for unpleasant results. The smell of baking will "break your nose" that people say because all the aromas are mixed (orange, brandy, spices, etc.) and give an excellent result.
- 235 g of sunflower oil
- 520 g flour loaf
- 240 g sugar
- 50 gr brandy
- 100 g raisin blonde
- 100 g crushed walnut
- 200 g of water
- 150 g of fresh orange juice
- 10g baking powder
- 10 g bicarbonate of soda (powder)
- 3 g clove powder
- 6 g grated cinnamon
- Our process is very easy. We have collected all the materials measured on the counter.
- In a bowl pour all the liquids (water, sunflower juice and sugar, soda), mix until the sugar melts. then we add the herbs and the nuts, and at the end we add our flour after we have first sifted it and mixed it with the baking.
- We put it in an oiled form and passed with a little flour so that it does not stick to us.
- Put it in a preheated oven at 190The for 60'-65 'minutes.