A wonderful recipe, a traditional Greek dish, delicious which can be mainly but also a snack first for our wine. So from Prespa with the exceptional beans to the housewife the dish with a lot of love !!!!
But how do we choose the right giants? But of course biting them! When we go to buy them, we bite a bean. When the bean inside keeps its firmness and is hard but with a "body" it is the right bean! But if you crumble and break into pieces and dissolve it is dehydrated, which means it is long enough and will not boil.
Now, there are many versions for the giants. Some people sauté the vegetables before putting them in the oven, to bind the flavors. This makes them heavier. Some people put the vegetables straight in the oven. Some people put a lot of tomatoes, or do not put vegetables. No matter how you make them, it will definitely be an amazing traditional delicious dish!
Here we will see the giants in their lightest form.
First we put our beans to soak from the previous day. They want at least 12 hours to "saturate" water.
- 500 gr giants
- 3 grated ripe tomatoes
- 2 carrots in thin slices
- 2 sprigs of chopped celery (I have removed the nerves with a peeler)
- 3 cloves garlic in thin slices
- 2 large sliced onions
- half a bunch of chopped spring onions
- a little parsley
- salt, pepper, boukovo
- olive oil
- Boil our giants over low heat for about an hour.
- While the giants are boiling, prepare our ingredients, finely chop our onions, chop carrot, onion, dried garlic, grate the tomatoes in the grater and finely chop the parsley. We skim the giants and when they are almost ready we open our oven at 180 degrees.
- When the giants are ready, we place them in our pan and pour our ingredients on top and mix. We add plenty of oil because they want it.
- Add a little water and put them in the oven.
- We cook our food for about an hour and a quarter, taking care not to let our liquids dry out. The last quarter you can bake them in the resistance to get the caramelized color but watch it do not grab too much!
- Ideal combination with a piece of Greek feta cheese with good local oil and oregano, wine and a piece of sourdough bread !!!!! Bon appetit!!!!
* You can add half a tablespoon of pulp if you want. Our giants will become redder…
** If you want the sauce, make it in the pot first (simmering) separately and combine both in the pan.