A special recipe that I have encountered during my travels in Crete. A delicate dish that will pleasantly surprise you.
We can make it on fasting days and it can be consumed by vegetarian or vegan.
The materials we will need are
- 1 kg of chestnuts
- 1 kg onion kokkari
- 1/2 glass of red wine
- 1 shot of brandy
- 1 crushed tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- a little olive oil
- salt, pepper, bay leaf, allspice, cinnamon, cloves
- We do the preparation for the cleaning of chestnuts. There are two versions. One is to carve them from below and put them in the oven at a high temperature so that we can easily clean them and the second is to carve them from below and boil them for a while, so that they peel more easily…
There is of course the third version that they sell them cleaned in a vacuum package in the refrigerators of the big supermarkets.
- In a deep saucepan take the onions and sauté them until they get a sweet caramel color,
- Then add the garlic, chestnuts and stir with gentle movements. Quench with brandy and red wine.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and our spices and let it simmer on low heat until the chestnuts are soft and the sauce has set. If necessary, add a little water.