A traditional dish that I came across in Mani. Wonderful, tasty and yet forgotten that now only our grandmothers make. Now is their time to try to make such a wonderful dish.
- 1 k zucchini tops
- 4-5 zucchini small tenderly sliced
- 1 large sliced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons garlic cut into slices
- 3-4 chopped fresh onions
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes passed in the grater
- Or chopped parsley
- 2 large sliced potatoes
- 2 sliced carrots
- Olive oil
- Salt Pepper
- Optionally 200 g of sphela cheese
- Thoroughly wash the zucchini tops, clean the thick fibers from the stalks, remove the small petals at the bottom of the flowers and the stamens through the flowers.
- In a saucepan place in a little olive oil put the onions and sauté them lightly. Add the garlic, the carrots, the potatoes and the zucchini, the zucchini tops and finally the tomato, with a little water and leave them for about 30 minutes in a slow boil.
- During the boiling, do not stir them, just shake them from the side handles of the pot.
- Towards the end of the cooking, we add the spell cheese if we want it to be homogenized with our food.
Serve hot or as a cold snack with grated ghee on top.
Many thanks to Mr. Takis's family for the valuable tips for the wonderful dish.
Sfela is a traditional cheese found in Messinia and Laconia. It resembles feta but has a much more intense and spicy taste. Since 1994 the sphere has been registered as a PDO cheese.