A dish that is light, economical, fast, easy, wintery and very, very tasty.
Our ingredients for the basic recipe
- 1 cabbage cut into thick slices
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 leek (the white part) cut into thin slices
- 1 chopped onion
- 2-3 chopped green onions
- Or a bunch of chopped dill
- Or iced rice
- Salt Pepper
- 300 g of vegetable broth or water
- Juice of 2 lemons Grate 1 lemon
- Or olive oil
- In a saucepan pour a little olive oil and sauté the onions and leeks.
- When they wither, add the cabbage and the carrot and mix.
- Once they get a boil, add the rice and the broth or water and close the lid and let it simmer.
- Just before the end, add the lemon dill and the zest, stir, bring to a last boil and remove from the heat.
Cabbage in the winter months is more tender and sweet.
We can also add a teaspoon of chopped turmeric or ginger if we want.
A very nice variation and delicious is to replace the rice with oatmeal or quinoa or buckwheat.
It gives a wonderful taste to the food if alternatively we sprinkle it with smoked paprika.
It binds wonderfully if we make it with sausage or minced meat.
Try making it with red cabbage and be amazed at how beautiful the color change is in the end by adding the lemon.
The wonderful vegetables used for the recipe are from the company Καραντινός Α.Ε.