When I was little, my grandmother Stergoula used to make Lazarakia for us every year. I remember it as a dream; he gave it to us and we played in the yard while chewing. My grandmother, as you say, came from Kalymnos. In Kalymnos, from what I remember my grandmother telling me, the children sing Lazarus' carols, returning to the neighborhoods, and the housewives gave kisses and pocket money. To the lord of the island at that time, my grandmother, who worked as a cook, kissed the children cookies, or eggs and general materials that they had at home to prepare for Holy Week.
So Lazarakia is stuffed. Everyone has what they put in. A few nuts, a few almonds, a few raisins… and more. That's why because the filling is sweet, our balanced dough is sweet… as much as it should be. Personally, I really like to put in pieces of pastries (orange, fig, etc.) or even jams. The figure from Lazarakia is typical, as we put the handkerchief that Lazaros had on his head and his arms crossed. For eyes 2 cloves. This dough because it is fasting is quite easy and you can generally use it to make them stuffed with healthy products and give them to children.
- 150 g of seed oil
- 240 g sugar
- 360 g of lukewarm water
- 900 g flour (maybe a little more)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 15 g dry yeast
- 1 kg chopped Chios mastic powder
- ¼ κ γ cinnamon powder
For the stuffing
- Walnuts, almonds, raisins, brandy, a little cinnamon, a little grated cloves.
- Cloves (cloves) for the eyes
- In a bowl I put the warm water with the yeast to activate. Then in a bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon, salt and flour. When the yeast is activated, I add it to the flour and the seed oil and mix it to become an elastic dough. I leave my dough in a covered bowl to rest in a warm environment for about half-three quarters of an hour.
- Then I take a ball of dough about the size of a small puff pastry.
- I open my ball like a bitch
- I place my stuffing inside
- I close my dough very well like a cheese pie
- I give shape
- I take a small piece of dough I make it spaghetti and then I press it with my fingers to make it wide
- I place it on Lazarus' head
- Then I make a fairly long spaghetti and in the middle I press it to become flat.
- I place it on the flat spot in my Lazaraki and cross my arms. I place 2 carnations for eyes
- Bake for 20΄-30΄ minutes (depending on how big you make them) at 180The Celsius in the air.
-You can put in pieces of sweet spoon
- if you want you can experiment by putting chocolate pieces or pieces of pastel in the Lazarakia.
-make them with your children, all together and create sweet memories…
- a part of water can be replaced with orange juice (eg 100g)
-If you like tahini you can mix the nuts with tahini instead of brandy.