A filling dish, full of flavor, and health. A dish that has all of Greece… Cretan legumes, barley from Thessaly, reed olives, extra virgin olive oil, fresh vegetables… compose a delicious result that you will love and you will make this dish often. Ideal proposal for fasting, as the combination of starch with legumes gives us a strong feeling of satiety.
- 250 gr barley
- 200 g of legumes
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 3 chopped agar mushrooms
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 chopped leek
- 1 zucchini chopped
- Vegetable broth
- 1 cup olive fillet
- 50 g of olive oil
- Salt Pepper
- We start to boil our legumes according to the instructions. We take out our legumes about 10 minutes earlier because they will simmer with our barley
- While our legumes are simmering, chop our ingredients finely
- With a saucepan make the vegetable broth to have it ready.
- Once our legumes are cooked, we drain them and start making our food
- Put the olive oil in a saucepan and as soon as it heats up, add the onion and the leek. Then add the rest of our vegetables and sauté them. When they are already withered, add the garlic, sauté it lightly and add the barley. Saute the barley with our vegetables to get a taste, and add our legumes. At this point we take hot broth from our pot and add it little by little to our barley. Stir constantly and at the same time add the broth little by little. We repeat this process as needed, until our barley becomes "al dente". That is, to have melted from the outside and to support from the inside. To be able to enjoy it one by one without getting muddy - all stuck together. Ideally our vegetables should last a little.
- Once we enter the final stage, we make the taste from salt and pepper, we pull our pot from the fire.
-we can include whatever vegetable we like (broccoli, cauliflower etc)
-ideal combination is to marry it with chicken.
-the process of the broth where we put it little by little in the pot is necessary.
-you can put cheese -if you are not fasting- and put it in the final stage together with butter for a more creamy and full-bodied taste.